Visit 'Star Trek's (2009)' Shipyard And Blog Schedule Change

Just wanted to let my readers know I'm switching from a weekday schedule to a Monday, Wednesday and Friday schedule. I run two blogs and am thinking about adding another one. If I keep the schedule I have now I'd have to start cutting back on the research for the posts. To me, that's the most fun part of the blog. Finding interesting stories and trivia attached to the illustrations.

So, this will be my last Tuesday post for a while. Enjoy John Eaves awesome Riverside starship fleet yard from J.J. Abrams Star Trek (2009).


One of the first assignments I had on my desk was the Riverside fleet yards in the outback of rural Iowa. Based on an old train engine turntable idea came the first layout of what the ship yards could be. And incredibly large construction facility that housed various material and electronic manufacturing facilities that were easily accessed from every dock.  
My friend Mike Hamby works in the US navy sub yards back East and he helped me with a lot of research with those construction yards, and so the Hamby complex was named in his honor shown here in the turntable illustration. Obviously to [sic] grand of an idea the focus funneled down to seeing a single dock scenario for the construction of the new “E” .  
The first couple of passes have the ship somewhat below ground level and for the film the ship was pulled out of the semi subterranian [sic] dock and set elevated off the ground. By doing so the effect would be a much grander view of this massive Starship against an Earth bound setting which really has not been seen before.

 See more of John Eaves portfolio at http://johneaves.wordpress.com

Via http://trekmovie.com

Comments

  1. WOW! How on earth do you get the time?!? *bows* What's the new blog gonna be about??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil, I'm thinking about doing a blog about positive thinking. There's a lot of negativity. We'll see. Thanks for the kind words

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment